Friday, December 19, 2008

Dresses for my favorite girls

I think there is an unspoken rule among bridesmaids dresses: they are not meant to be affordable for college students or recent college graduates. David's Bridal is considered "cheap" and their dresses start at $100. Of my six girls, one is still in college, two are recent college grads (one is saving up for her own wedding and the other is probably going to grad school), another is working ridiculously hard just to pay her bills, one has four kids, and the other is my 12-year-old niece. I know that I personally don't have the money to spend $100 on a dress to be worn one time.

So it comes down to the age-old question...do the bridesmaids have to be matchy matchy or can they just wear something comfortable? Since it's our wedding, we make the decisions. Jordan and I have decided that we would rather my bridesmaids be comfortable and spend much less than $100 on a dress. Instead of purchasing "bridesmaids dresses," we're going to keep an eye out for sales at places like Dillards in the spring, and hopefully everyone can purchase dresses in similar colors and similar styles, but they don't have to match exactly.

Here are some dresses that I think would be awesome (but not necessarily all together):




Most people I've talked to have loved this idea, although there are a few people that think it will look sloppy or non-wedding-like. I'm not too worried about that, though...it's not like we're having a super formal affair, and I like the idea of having my bridesmaids smiling sincerely in all of our pictures, thinking, "This $30 dress is ridiculously comfortable...I think I might wear it again on Friday when I go out with my boyfriend." Here are some pictures of brides who have pulled off this idea quite well:



This next one is from Memory Makers Photography and it's my favorite!


In the end, as long as my girls brush their hair and cover up their naughty bits, I'll be satisfied. I just want them to stand next to me and watch me marry the love of my life. ... And then party. :P

2 comments:

Ellen Mint said...

I get amazed at how many people think you're commiting wedding-cide by not having super pricey matching bridesmaids dresses.

Or they think you're being all acomodating by say setting the designer and the color and telling them to pick a style.

Yeah one of mine found hers all on her own at a department store sale and the other had a dress in the closet. They didn't match at all but no one cared.

Meg said...

Don't worry about it looking non-wedding like. I think that's crap. It looks like a wedding if its what YOU want your wedding to look like. Don't let the magazines and other people determine what your special day should look like.
If you look at my blog I have posted what the women in my wedding have actually bought! They are all different shades of pink and styles but when I took a picture of myself and them next to me all dressed up at the bridal shop we looked perfect!